Friday, July 16, 2010

Exploring My Roots*

My family has just returned from a fabulous week with Mimi's family in central Illinois.  The formal reason for our visit was a family reunion.  The informal reason was that Mommy really wanted to show me this magical place where our family has so much history.

Mommy has always considered the home of my Great-Nana and Great-Papa Guth (henceforth refered to as Nana and Papa) to be a magical place.  Here's why:

It was built by Nana's Daddy, Great-Great-Grandpa Harnish,  ninety years ago.

The land has been farmed by four generations of Harnish/Guth men.

The home is filled with beautiful furniture from a bygone era...and Nana knows the story of nearly every piece. Very little changes here. Even though it has been updated, the house is much the same as it was when my Great-Great-Grandparents lived in it.

Both sides of Mimi's family have such a rich history here.  "We" even have a street named after "us".

*If you aren't really into family histories, let me apologize in advance for the influx of Harnish/Guth family history you will be seeing in upcoming posts.

6 comments:

Kelly Chambers said...

What an amazing place! Did ya'll drive or fly?

Kristine said...

oh I love that house!

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

What an amazing story! I love hearing about everyone's family roots. It's great you have a place to show KatieBug.

Zion said...

I am looking forward to hearing more! I love old town, houses, and farms and thinking of what it would be like to live in simpler times.

Zion said...

I am looking forward to hearing more! I love old town, houses, and farms and thinking of what it would be like to live in simpler times.

Erin and Chris said...

What a great experience! I felt the same way when we took Ava to visit my grandparents last summer. I love walking around the farm, and I loved being able to share a place I feel so connected to, with my daughter.