Saturday, July 17, 2010

Generations

I'd like to start this post with a portion of one of Poppy's favorite songs, Generations by Sara Groves.

Remind me of this with every decision.
Generations will reap what I sow.
I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know.
Whether or not the above sentiment was in the conscious minds of my ancestors I will never know.  I do, however, know that their lives have passed on many, many blessings to me.  (And that goes for both sides of my family, even though this post is a direct reference to Mommy's side.)

One of the reasons Mommy loves Illinois trips is because walking on the same ground her great-great-great grandparents trod leaves her feeling connected to her past in a way the streets of Dallas never can. 

Illinois is home to the church Mommy's parents and grandparents were married in...

as well as the final resting place for Mommy's great-greatparents, great-great grandparents, and great-great-great grandparents. All in the same cemetery.

These pictures may seem a bit macabre, but they serve as a reminder that the decisions, character, and priorities characterizing our lives will live on long past the moment we breathe our last breath.

Mommy's great grandparents passed down the blessing of a strong work ethic.

Her great-great grandparents passed down the blessing of a strong financial foundation.

And her great-great-great grandparents passed down the blessing of a strong faith.

To all the Guth, Harnish, Schertz, Ulrich, Pierce, Smith, Moss, Parker, Epler, and Eyer family members who have passed on blessings to me:
Thank You

0 comments: