Friday, June 25, 2010

How to Keep a Toddler Happy When it's Stinkin' Hot Outside

This week's Show Us Your Life theme is Kid's Activities.  Seeing as Texas summers have a tendency to be unbearably hot, I thought that I'd share some of my favorite activities for 100 degree weather.  Mommy suggested that I also included the amount of time each activity kept me occupied...you know, in case other mommies out there are in need of a few time killers!

1.  Paint with Pudding
Duration: 30 minutes, including post-pudding bath

Chocolate pudding doubles as a great first finger paint.  And it doesn't taste too bad, either!
Just make sure you get nakified before putting your artistic skills to work.  Or your mommy will have a laundry nightmare on her hands!

2.  Turn Household Items into Toys
Duration: 15 minutes
Normally, these cooking utensils stay on top of the kitchen counter and I don't even give them a second glance.  On one particularly hot day this week, though, Mommy put them down on the floor and told me I could play with them.  Those tools kept me occupied for a good 15 minutes (an eternity to a toddler, you know)...which Mommy considered to be well worth the time it took her to throw them all in the dishwasher once I was finished.

3.  Bring Water Play Indoors
Duration: 30 minutes
Mommy got this idea from her friend, Kelly.  She filled a storage tub with water, put it on top of a towel, and let me have at it.  I looooved this activity!

4. Get Outside Early
Duration: 20-60 minutes
Mommy knows she can't keep me inside all day long, so she tries to make sure we get out before the heat becomes blistering.  Usually, that just means we play in our backyard right after breakfast.  If I'm really lucky, though, it means we hit up a local splash pad as soon as it opens at 10:00 am.  Getting there early means Mommy can pick a spot in the shade and I can wear myself out before nap time.

If you have (or used to have) a toddler, what activities do you rely on to beat the summer-time heat?

1 comments:

Cooking Up Faith said...

These are great ideas!! I love hearing new ideas to keep toddlers busy!!

My toddler loves anything with water right now. I'll give him the water hose and he'll go around and spray the flowers, spray the car, or wash his little toy cars.
Big Fat Mama